OHSAS 18001What is OHSAS 18001?
OHSAS 18001 is a British Standard/Assessment Specification for Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems. It was developed in response to the need for companies to meet their health and safety obligations in an efficient/effective manner. A new edition of OHSAS 18001 was recently published. It is now referred to as BS OHSAS 18001:2007 Occupational health and safety management systems – Requirements.
Why should my organisation implement OHSAS 18001?
When you have implemented an OHSAS 18001 management system you know that your documented safety procedures are structured to enable you to meet the requirements of the standard. In addition, it helps you demonstrate that your business operates to recognized and accepted high standards of safety in order to ensures legal and regulatory compliance. It should enable you to reduces and remove the possibility of accidents and in some cases, reduce your insurance premiums.
Satisfactory assessment of your management system leads to the award of a certificate of registration and marketing material. OHSAS 18001 certification demonstrates an organisation’s commitment to provide a safe working environment and to protect employees.
Benefits of ISO 18001
• Enhance your organisation’s reputation.
• Proven credentials increase confidence in company stakeholders and your supply chain.
• Reduce risk of accidents and loss of production time through efficiency.
• Improved compliance with legal and other requirements.
• Reduce insurance premiums.
• Demonstrate commitment to the protection of your staff and property.
• Reduce absenteeism while increasing productivity.
• Improve efficiencies in H&S budgeting for costs such as training.